Several members of the Hogan Lovells Technology, Media and Telecoms Practice attended the International CTIA Wireless 2012 conference this week. The annual conference is one of the leading wireless industry events, attracting carriers, vendors, policymakers, and other innovators and professionals from all over the world to discuss the latest developments and future of the global wireless marketplace.
Michele Farquhar, Ari Fitzgerald, Mark Brennan, and Chris Termini all received a first-hand look at cutting-edge wireless technologies, including transformative remote patient monitoring, mobile financial services, and advanced wireless telematics. They also engaged with numerous industry leaders and regulators at the event, including FCC Commissioners and high-level staff, representatives from Congress and NTIA, and others. Some of the key legal issues discussed throughout the week included:
- Recent spectrum legislation and efforts to address make additional spectrum available for commercial use;
- The future evolution of networks, handsets, and applications;
- Wireless consumer protection initiatives;
- Broadband deployment and adoption; and
- Public safety and emergency communications.
Overall, the event provided a number of great insights for the road ahead in wireless technologies.